Free Hotel Forum for Owners, GM's and Property Management Companies

Discussing hot topics in the hospitality industry.
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Link Wheel Update!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:04 am 

Assuming you have read my many posts, this subject is still a little advanced. Please read all previous posts to better understand what I'm about to explain.

Too Good To Be True

As always when things are too good to be true stuff happens. Link wheels use to be a great way to build up site rankings until recently. Google, Yahoo and Bing have now all figured this out and have started to discount any link wheel attempts. For this reason it is always a good idea to stick with traditional back linking strategies instead of get quick schemes. If you are not familiar with link wheels then good for you. You are not missing anything and might have saved your webmaster headache. Now link wheels are only one of the things that are promoted now a days that say you can boost immediate rankings results. Just imagine how many get rich quick scams there are. Same goes with the SEO world. Keep in mind that there is only one way to properly go about search engine optimization without ever getting in trouble.

What is a Link Wheel?

Maybe I should explain this so you don't accidentally do this. Basically in the web 2.0 you have multiple sites either submitting articles or blogs with links pointing to both your main domain and one other site. This other site would be another web 2.0 site that you have set up doing the same exact thing. This wheel of sites with two links on them can expand to many spokes of a wheel. I've seen some get up to 32 spokes long. The point here is that all the spokes are promoting not only your main domain but other sites that are also promoting your site effectively giving you a ton of link juice. Now there are variations of link wheels but they all basically do the same thing. Now there is nothing wrong with a few of these sites doing this but you might want to make sure and check to see if your wheel is completely in a circle as these are the easiest to find. Broken wheels are harder to find and spin off wheels are basically impossible to find yet still very powerful.

Is It Worth The Risk/Money?

Again this is not much of a risk if done properly. Broken wheels with a ton of hubs will make it virtually impossible to track hence Google, Yahoo and Bing will not be able to validate this technique. The cost of effectively setting up a proper link wheel can be expensive yet yield great results. The result can make you site stay on the top search results for years without the need of really updating new and constant back links. I would never recommend to stop your back linking campaigns but if you are in a tough spot for cash this is one idea that you could implement for at least the next few months. Many companies offer link wheels but it is imperative that you select one that knows what they are doing so not to have your site black listed from the search engines. Beware of companies that brag about a few sites they might have done as they might only work temporarily until they get caught. Your best bet is to call and get a feel for the person you are dealing with. Make sure they are up to date with current SEO news and tactics. I've seen many hotels go with out sourcing companies in India only to get burned. I hope this information helps you to stay out of trouble.